The city of Racine is located on the shore of Lake Michigan at the mouth of the Root River. It is located 22 miles south of Milwaukee. As of the 2010 U.S. census, the city had a population of 78,860, making it the fifth-largest city in Wisconsin. Its median home price of $103,625 makes it one of the most affordable cities in Wisconsin to buy a home. In January 2017, it was rated “the most affordable place to live in the world” by the Demographia International Housing Affordability survey. With a population of 76,000, Racine is the headquarters of a number of industries, including:
- C. Johnson & Son, Inc. (www.scjohnson.com) is a multinational privately held manufacturer of household cleaning supplies and other consumer chemicals. In 2017, S. C. Johnson employed approximately 13,000 people and had estimated sales of $10 billion. The company is owned by the Johnson family.
- Reliance Controls Corporation (reliancecontrols.com), manufacturers of transfer switches and panels for portable generators. Since 1909, Reliance has contributed more innovations than any other single manufacturer and has been awarded over 85 patents on manual transfer switches, time switches and accessories. The primary product line consists of heavy duty time clocks and controls, generator accessories, transfer switches and transfer panels for portable generators. Reliance is privately owned.
- Twin Disc, Inc. (twindisc.com) designs, manufactures and distributes power transmissionequipment for a wide range of applications, including marine, off-road vehicle and industrial. The company was founded in 1918 to manufacture clutches for farm tractors. It is now a worldwide company with subsidiaries or sales offices in Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania, and South America. The Company has 672 employees and $270 million in annual revenue.
- Modine Manufacturing, Inc. (modine.com) – This is how the Company describes itself: “Modine Manufacturing Company has been a worldwide leader in thermal management since 1916. We design, engineer, test, and manufacture heat transfer products for a wide range of applications and markets. We’re at work in practically every corner of the world, inside the things you see every day.” Modine has 11,700 employees, and revenue of $1.5 billion.
- InSinkErator https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en-us/about-us. Here is how the Company describes itself at its website: “Headquartered in Racine, Wisconsin, InSinkErator® is a business unit of Emerson (NYSE:EMR) and is the world’s largest manufacturer of garbage disposals and instant hot water dispensers for home and commercial use. Yet, InSinkErator is not only the largest manufacturer of disposals, we invented them in 1927. Disposal technology has advanced dramatically since then, culminating with the high performance Evolution Series®, which features advanced sound, grind, anti-jam and anti-vibration technologies”
The city is also the county seat of Racine County. Racine County is a mix of what’s best about Wisconsin and the Midwest. A prime location in southeastern Wisconsin, Racine County is located approximately 30 miles south of Milwaukee and 60 miles north of Chicago. Interstate 94 conveniently links the Racine County with Milwaukee, Madison, and Minneapolis to the west, and Chicago and Detroit to the east.